This is one of Italy’s most famous squares, and probably the one with the most original shape. Piazza del Campo stands on the site that was once an ancient Roman forum, opposite Palazzo Pubblico and the Torre del Mangia. The area was initially intended for a city market place and only began to take on the dignity required of a true square in 1288. From 1327 to 1349, paving work was carried out in the square, using special red bricks. The square, more commonly known as “il Campo” locally, is surrounded by Medieval buildings, open-air coffee shops, restaurants and trattorias, and in August it is the location of the famous Palio.